Login |  Register |  help

T-Birds-Brentwood resumes on Sunday

Posted Saturday, November 08, 2008 by Michael Konsevitch

Connetquot-Brentwood football game will resume Sunday

Every time Connetquot scored, the team's cheerleaders did the number of push-ups equivalent to the T-Birds' points total. The cheerleaders are probably thankful yesterday's game was suspended because of lightning with 31 seconds left in the first half.

Third-seeded Connetquot was leading No. 6 Brentwood 35-19 in a Suffolk Division I quarterfinal at Connetquot. The game will resume from the point where it was stopped at 10 a.m. today.

According to the Section XI rule, if lightning is observed at the site of an outdoor contest by the officials during the playing of the contest, the officials shall immediately cease play for the day.

Connetquot was rolling up the points and the cheerleaders were getting a good workout. The game was halted right after Brentwood converted a fourth-and-1 into a 62-yard touchdown as Alex Corporan hit Gabriel Manzueta to make it 35-19. Brentwood lined up for the two-point conversion and was called for a false start. Then lightning flashed and everyone was evacuated from the field. About a half hour later, the decision was made to suspend the game until today.

 The T-Birds scored on five of its six possessions, many of them quick strikes. The T-Birds opened the game with a 52-yard touchdown run by Joseph Zuco. Their next possession took 10 plays before Jon Sternbach scored on a 6-yard end around to make it 14-0. Brentwood cut the lead to 14-7 on a 7-yard run by Corporan with 16 seconds left in the first quarter.

It took one play for Connetquot to respond. Joe Pellegrino scored on a 72-yard run on the final play of the first quarter to extend the lead to 21-7.

Darrius Alisson scored on a 91-yard kickoff return to bring Brentwood within 21-13 before Mike Pellegrino scored on a 58-yard run. Ryan Andersen hit Sternbach for a 44-yard score to make it 35-13.

This page was created in 0.1094 seconds on server 132